Pre/Post Microneedling Treatment Instructions
PRE – TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you may want to schedule your treatment at least 1 – 2 weeks in advance.
- Do not use topical agents that may increase sensitivity of skin: retinoids, topical antibiotics, exfoliants, acids that may be drying or irritating to the skin (such as alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) beta hydroxyl acids (BHA), exfoliating masks, salicylic acids, hydroquinone, and benzoyl peroxide acne products) 5-7 days prior to treatment.
- Bruising is a common risk especially with PRP injections.Avoid excessive Alcohol, Aspirin, NSAIDs (ibuprofen, Aleve) Garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, Fish Oils, and Vitamin E for 5-7 days prior to your treatment unless recommended by your physician. This may help to decrease the risk of bruising during your treatment.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for at least 3 days prior to treatment. These agents will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure or sunburn for 2 weeksprior to treatment.
- No waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis to area being treated 5-7 days prior.
- No shaving the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there is dense hair present in the treatment area, closely shave the area the day before you arrive to your appointment.
- Avoid Accutane for 6 months before treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is recommended to take anti-viral medication (Valtrex) the day before, the day of, and the day after your treatment. Please let our office know if you need a prescription
DAY OF TREATMENT
- Please ensure that your skin is clean without lotion, oil, makeup, powder, perfume, or sunscreen. You may wash your face in the office upon arrival.
- Inform your physician of any relevant changes in your medical history and of all medications you are taking.
- Notify your physician of any cosmetic tattoos to areas being treated.
- Topical Lidocaine will be applied in office for 30-45 min prior to treatment.
- If combining Micro-Needling with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), your blood will be drawn in office while you are numbing.
- Pregnancy, actively infected or actively inflamed skin, skin irritation, cystic acne to area being treated, keloid scars, allergies to topical lidocaine, and sunburn.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR TREATMENT
- Immediate pinpoint bleeding can occur, which should resolve within 24 to 74 hours.
- Itching, redness, and swelling are normal parts of the healing process. These symptoms rarely persist longer than 24-72 hrs.
- Minor redness and swelling may occur for 1-2 days.
- Minor peeling and flakiness can occur after a few days. Don’t pick at the loose skin.
- Call our officeif you experience excessive redness, swelling, pain, or drainage as thesemight indicate an infection.
POST – TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- For microneedling with PRP, wash off PRP 4 hours after treatment with warm water.
- Do not apply your regular make-up and SPF for a minimum of 24 hours after your treatment.
- After 24 hours, always use a full spectrum sun screen SPF30 or above. When exposed to sun, wear a hat and apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Discontinue use of any Alpha-Hydroxy products for 5 days after treatment. You may resumeyour home care regimen when skin is no longer flaking and peeling.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen Motrin or Advil for 1 week.
- DO NOT ice face or use arnica or bromelain. These agents may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
- Use hydrating and reparative products. Products rich in soothing and healing ingredientsare best to encourage new healthy cell growth. Peptides, antioxidants, stem cells, vitamins A, C and E, and growth factors work very well.
- Avoid direct sun exposure, sun tanning, and heat for 3-4 weeks. This includes simple day to day tasks such asgardening, cooking over a hot stove for a long period of time, sitting next to a bonfire orfireplace, etc.Use sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher. Re-apply every 30 to 90 minutes. Do NOT gooutside without sun protection (even on a cloudy day).
- Do NOT scratch or peel the skin as this may cause permanent scarring.
- Limit exercise the first week.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Use Tylenol only as needed for any soreness.
- Optional dietary recommendations: Eat fresh pineapple, tart cherry juice (no sugar), salmon (omega-3 fish oil), bone broth based soups for 2 weeks to optimize healing. Avoid dairy, wheat and sugar!
A sunburn -like effect is normal. The skin will feel tight, dry, sensitive to touch. Treat skin gently washing with a gentle cleanser, cool water, using hands only and pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment. Redness or sensitivity might well be present. Some small bruising is common with PRP injections and may last up to 5-7 days and swelling can last 2-4 days depending on how aggressive of a treatment you received.
**Plan social calendar accordingly!**
- Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating, Jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths for 24 hours due to open pores, or up to 48 hours if inflammation exists.
- Can use mineral makeup after 24 hours.
- Sleep on your back with head of bed elevated to minimize swelling or pain as needed.
Peeling may start 3-5 days after treatment. You will notice skin dryness and flaking. This is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. Do not pick, scratch or scrub at treated skin! Allow old skin to flake off naturally and keep moisturized AT ALL TIMES for extra dry skin every 2 hours if needed.
You may restart your regular skin care products and Retin-A once your skin is no longer irritated (usually around 5-7 days post-treatment).
Many patients have noticed continued skin improvement for months following the last treatment.
For best results, we recommend follow up and repeat treatments in 4-6 weeks and a series of 3-5 treatments depending on your personalized care plan.
For further information or to book an appointment, please call our office 703-229-2544.
Some Approved 24-Hour Post Care Products:
Aftercare & Redness:
- Rescue anti-inflammatory cream
- Neutrogena Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Oral Benadryl (DO NOT USE TOPICAL BENADRYL CREAM OR GEL)
- Calamine Lotion (NOT CALADRYL)
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, Fragrance Free