Pre/Post DermalFiller Treatment Instructions
To prepare for Fillers:
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you may want to schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Please do not schedule any invasive procedures for 2 weeks before or after treatment with dermal filler. These include but are not limited to
- Dental cleaning or dental work
- Lesion excision or biopsy
- Surgery of any kind
- Internal device placement
- Tattoo or permanent makeup
- For optimal results, and to minimize the chance of bleeding or bruising at the injection site, it is recommended to avoid all blood-thinning medications and supplements at least 3 days to 1 week prior to your appointment. This includes over-the-counter medication such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements such as garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, flax Oil, cod liver oil, vitamin A, vitamin E, and omega-3 capsules. If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping use of aspirin. Please consult with your primary physician prior to discontinuing any medications.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- If you have a history of cold sores with outbreaks occurring 4 or more times a year, it is recommended that you are pretreated with medication prior to the injection treatments around or near the oral area. The medication will need to be initiated 3 days prior to your treatment visit. Please consult with your primary care physician in obtaining the medication (Valtrex).
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A) retinols, retinoids, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, or any “anti-aging” products for 2-3 days before and after treatment to avoid any increased redness and irritation.
- To minimize bruising, you can start taking the following combination prior to your filler treatment: Arnica – 5 tablets three times a day for ~10 days, Vitamin C – 1000mg a day, Zinc – one tablet a day.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend that you please reschedule your appointment until it r
- It is recommended that you wait at least 2 weeks to have dermal filler treatments performed if you have previously had cosmetic treatments with laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro- dermabrasion.
- Please wash your face thoroughly prior to your arrival to remove any makeup.
** Do not use dermal fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients or suffer from any neurological disorders **
After your Filler treatment:
- Do NOT, touch, press, rub, or manipulate the implanted areas for 6 hours after treatment. This can cause irritation, sores or possible scarring.
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area unless instructed by provider.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun, and heat exposure for 3 days after treatment.
- Avoid submerging head under water for a full 24 hours after Voluma® XC treatment; this includes pools, beach, bathtub, hot tub, etc.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Ginkgo Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A or similar products (ex. Kinerase, Tazarac) 2 days after treatment to avoid increased irritation or redness.
- Use Tylenol (acetaminophen) for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica (typically found in health food stores) to help the bruising and swelling. Begin taking at least two days prior to injections.Take Benadryl or Zyrtec at bedtime to help reduce any swelling.
- Wait a minimum of four weeks before cosmetic treatments such as laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion.
- Continue your antibiotic and/or Valtrex prescription as directed if it was prescribed for you.
- Apply ice on the treated areas for the next 24 hours. Place the icepack on the area for 20 minutes and remove the ice pack for 20 minutes. Continue this pattern for 24 hours.
- Allow two weeks for all swelling to subside.
- Try to avoid wearing makeup or lipstick until the day after treatment. Earlier use may cause pustules. If you must wear makeup, we recommend a good quality mineral makeup for the face or Aquaphor ointment for the lips.
- If you notice any asymmetry or lumps after the swelling is gone, please call our office
- Please report to your provider immediately if you have increased pain, swelling, redness, blisters or itching following your treatment.
- Please remember one side may heal faster than the other side.