Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for Hair Loss Treatment
Pre / Post Treatment Instructions:
7 days before treatment:
- Discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Gingko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids, and multivitamins, a minimum of 7 days prior to treatment. It isfine to continue iron and vitamin D.
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let your provider know immediately, as they may represent acontraindication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin, and Heparin.Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications. Wewant inflammation to occur – as this is one mechanism by which PRP works. However, you may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If you are taking broad beta-blockers such as Inderal (Propranolol), please inform your provider as this medication may need to be changed to a select beta-blocker in advance of the treatment.
- Stop all steroids 2 weeks prior to your appointment.
- It is okay to color your hair up to 7 days before the procedure.
- Avoid excessive sun or heat exposure.
3 days before treatment:
- Minimize or avoid alcohol consumption.
- If possible, refrain from or minimize smoking prior to your procedure as it impacts the healing process.
- You may continue other hair loss treatments such as laser treatment, minoxidil, or hormone blocking tabletsbefore your procedure. If you are not sure if you should be stopping a medication, please ask.
- Increase your intake of fluid the day before your procedure by simply drinking 2 glasses of water in the morning, 2 glasses at lunch, and 2 glasses at dinner, in addition to your normal intake of water.
- Avoid indulging in strenuous exercises 24 to 48 hours prior to the procedure. You can perform your routine tasks, though.
Day of Treatment:
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo.
- Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair.
- If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRPtreatments.
- Please eat a normal breakfast or lunch the day of your PRP session.
- Drink a bottle of water (500 mL) at least 2 hours before your session.
** Please Note: Sedation is NOT required for PRP treatments **
Immediately Following Treatment:
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 daysfollowing your treatment.You may have a bruise at the blood draw site.
- You may notice a tingling sensation while the cells are being activated.If you experience any pain or discomfort, you may take Tylenol as directed.
- Try to refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory. However, ice or coldcompresses can be applied to reduce swelling if required.
- Continue to avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Iburprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatorymedications for 3 days after your procedure (if possible try for 7 days).
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
- Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- For the first 3 days, use shampoo that is pH balanced.
- Avoid resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) for 3 days.
- Avoid hair coloring and for 1-2 weeks after the procedure.
- It is recommended to take a hot shower and wash your hair that evening, after the treatment, to promote the effects ofPRP.
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and smoking for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problemsrecur earlier and results may take longer.
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment.
- Do not use blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginkgo, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil,and other Essential Fatty Acids at least one week after your treatment.
- Cover pillow with towel the night of your procedure.
- In rare cases, skin infection or reaction may occur, which is easily treated with an antibiotic or inflammatory. Please contact our office immediately if you notice unusual discomfort.
- Contact the office immediately if any of the following signs of infection occur:
- Drainage – looks like pus
- Fever of 101.5 or greater
- Severe pain that is unresponsive to over-the-counter pain relievers